CAE and Design
The goal of the CAE-Design Research Group is to develop computer-based, systems-oriented methods and the supporting infrastructure that facilitate the effective design and realization of engineering products and systems for the global marketplace. Our research focus includes Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE), Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM), Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM), Distributed Design and Manufacturing, Information Engineering, and design as a science and discipline in itself. Applications focus on methods and tools to support engineering analyses, design, manufacture, operations, service, product recycling, and sustainability. Over the years, our funding has come from the National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institute of Standards and Technology/Advanced Technology Program (NIST/ATP), Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), US Air Force Research Lab (USAFRL), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC), and automotive, aerospace, electronics, and other industry.
Some of the research is collaborative with other disciplinary research areas in the School. Our areas of interest include: Design and System Realization; Design Decision Support; Rapid Prototyping Methods and Technologies for Product; Realization; Robust Design; Environmentally Conscious Design and Manufacture; Knowledge Management and Information Engineering; Product Lifecycle Management; Collaborative, Distributed Design and Manufacture; Engineering Information Technology and Standards; Electronic Commerce; Micro- and Nano-structures and Applications; Thermo-Mechanical Modeling and Reliable Design of Digital, Optical, and RF Systems; Bioassays; Modeling, Fabrication, and Characterization of Nanostructures and interfaces; and Materials Design and Modeling and Simulation of Materials Processing.
- Computation and Advancement of Sustainable Systems Lab (CASS Lab)
- Computer-Aided Simulation of Packaging Reliability (CASPaR)
- Engineering Design Research Lab (EDRL)
- Engineering Information Systems Laboratory (EIS Lab)
- Environmentally Conscious Design and Manufacture (ECDM) Technology Center
- Innovation, Design Reasoning, Engineering Education and Methods Lab (IDREEM)
- Product Lifecycle Management Center of Excellence (PLM CoE)
- Rapid Prototyping and Manufacture Institute (RPMI)