Change of Major Rules & Regulations (Institute Level Rules)
- Undergraduate students will be permitted one unrestricted transfer between majors until they have earned 60 credit hours. There are a few departments who have been granted exceptions to that rule, so please contact an advisor in that department to be sure. ME and ISYE are both exceptions to the institute policy. See the ME requirements below.
- After 60 hours or upon subsequent change of major, the change will be permitted at the discretion of the school that the student is seeking to enter.
- Students who transfer from another institution will be permitted to change their major only at the discretion of the school that the student is seeking to enter.
- Beginning Summer 2017 - Admitted freshmen will not be allowed to submit a request for a change of major until after the deadline for withdrawal from classes with a W grade in the first term of their enrollment. The change would be effective for the second term of enrollment. This includes a change of major within the student's current College. For freshmen admitted for Summer, the restriction is lifted after the withdraw deadline of their second semester of enrollment. All other restrictions also apply.
- Students who wish to add a secondary major must fill out a change of major form and are subject to the same requirements as changing your major.
Requirements to Change your Major to ME (ME Department Level Rules)
- Starting summer 2013, ME was granted an exemption from the nominal institute level change of major requirements. The new requirements are listed below.
- A student who started at Georgia Tech as a Freshman and has not yet changed majors can change their major to ME within their first 2 semesters in residence without any restrictions after the required waiting time. The Change of Major form must be received prior to completion of their second semester. Students that began at Georgia Tech in the Freshman Summer Session, the Change of Major form must be received prior to completion of their third semester.
- All other students (including students who started at GT as transfer students) who wish to change their major to ME, must meet the following requirements:
- Students must have completed at least 12 credit hours of coursework for letter grade while in residence at Georgia Tech. The 12 credit hours must be for “in-class” coursework and can not include AP or similar, nor can it include courses satisfied by exam.
- Students must have a Georgia Tech GPA ≥ 3.0.
- Students must have completed one set the following classes with C's or better:
- CHEM 1310 (or CHEM 1211K), PHYS 2211, MATH 1501 and MATH 1502
- CHEM 1310 (or CHEM 1211K), PHYS 2211, MATH 1551, MATH 1552 and MATH 1553
- Students who do not meet the requirements above may request Restricted Class Permits to register for non-lab ME classes for one semester, while working towards meeting the above requirements. Permit requests will be reviewed on an individual basis.
Requirements to Change your Major to NRE
- Students who have more than 60 credit hours must have a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
- Students who have previously changed their major must have a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
- Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at Georgia Tech, completed at least 12 credit hours with a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
- A student who started at Georgia Tech as a Freshman and has not yet changed majors can change their major to NRE before earning 60 credit hours (including transfer, AP and IB hours) without any restrictions after the required waiting time. The Change of Major form must be received prior to completion of earning 60 credit hours.
- Students who do not meet the requirements above may request Restricted Class Permits to register for non-lab NRE classes for one semester, while working towards meeting the above requirements. Permit requests will be reviewed on an individual basis.
How to Change your Major (Process)
- Obtain a change of major form and review the DocuSign instructions. A few pointers are below:
- Degree: BS for all undergraduate students.
- Major: List your current or intended major. You don't need to write it, you can abbreviate. Ex. Mechanical Engineering is ME.
- School: For ME and NRE the school is ME.
- Catalog Year: If changing into ME or NRE, then the catalog year will be the current year. If leaving ME or NRE, then the catalog year is the year you started in the major.
- DocuSign Instructions:
- For the ME or NRE signature, enter Kristi Mehaffey for the signature, no matter who your assigned advisor is.
- You can find advisors in all departments using the advising website.
- DocuSign will automatically submit the form to the registrar's office after all departments have signed the form.
- Additional Information
- CHANGING TO ME
- In order for you to be fully prepared to major in Mechanical Engineering (ME), all students are required to complete the Change of Major Module in Canvas. It is comprised of 6 short videos that showcase important information regarding ME and how to complete the change of major form, followed by a short assessment. This will take about 20 minutes to complete.
- You are not obligated to change your major if you complete the Change of Major module.
- Additional instructions can be found in the Canvas module.
- SIGNATURES FROM OTHER DEPARTMENTS
- If you turn your form into the registrar’s office after phase 2 registration closes for the semester, your change of major will go into effect during the following semester.