||AE 4791 or CEE 4791 or CHE 4791 or TFE 4791 or ME 4791 or
MSE 4791 or equivalent
||Anisotropic elasticity, hygrothermal behavior, stress analysis of laminated composites including 3D effects, stress concentrations, free-edge effects, thick laminates, adhesive and mechanical connections, fracture of composites. Crosslisted with AE, CHE, CEE, MSE, and TFE 7792.
||None; Instructor's notes.
||Iwona Jasiuk (ME), Jianmin Qu (ME), Wan-Lee Yin(CEE), Erian Armanios(AE), George Kardomateas(AE), Rami Haj-ali (CEE)
- Review of anisotropic elasticity.
- Failure theories.
- Hygrothermal behavior and related constitutive equations; fabrication or residual stresses.
- Stress analysis in laminated composites including 3-D effects; variational formulation.
- Thick laminates: transverse shear deformation, first order and higher order theories.
- Local effects associated with geometric and material discontinuities: free edge, ply termination, interface, etc.
- Joints: mechanical and adhesive connections.
- Creep of composites: Stress-strain relations including time and temperature factors; material property deterioration.
- Fracture of composites: crack formation; mode of fracture; separation of modes; energy release rate, analytic determination and experimental measurement.
- Impact: stresses and damages in a laminate due to low velocity impact.
- Hybrid composites and other advanced topics.