||Exposure to thermodynamics, e.g., thermodynamics properties, and First and Second Law of Thermodynamics and graduate standing.
||Thermodynamics of nonreacting and reacting gas mixtures. Introductory quantum theory, statistical thermodynamics and gas kinetic theory. Crosslisted with AE 6765.
||Kenneth G. Denbigh, The Principles of Chemical Equilibrium: With Applications in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, 4th Edition, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
Walter G. Vincenti and Charles H. Kruger, Introduction to Physical Gas Dynamics, Krieger Publishing, 1976.
||Jerry M. Seitzman (AE); Jechiel Jogoda (AE)
- Thermodynamics of nonreacting and reacting gas mixtures.
- Equilibrium properties of gas mixtures.
- Quantum states and energy levels of molecules.
- Equilibrium population distribution of molecular energy levels.
- Equilibrium kinetic theory of gases.
- Transport properties of gases.
- Classical Thermodynamics
- Overview and Thermodynamic Definitions
- The State Postulate and Reversible Work Modes
- Zeroth, First, and Second Laws of Thermodynamics
- Gibbs Equation and Entropy Transfer
- Entropy Analysis for a Control Mass, and Availability Analysis for a Control Volume
- Properties of the Enthalpy
- Useful Work for Flowing and Reacting Systems (Control Volume Analysis)
- General Conditions for Chemical Equilibrium of a Mixture; Chemical Potential and Chemical/Phase Equilibrium
- Maxwell's Relations and Other Mathematical Relationships
- Measurable Quantities in Thermodynamics (Specific Heats, Compressibility Coefficients, Heats of Reaction and Phase Change)
- Calculation of Changes in Thermodynamic Properties
- Molar and Partial Molar Quantities
- State Equations for a Single Perfect Gas, a Perfect Gas Mixtures, and Imperfect Gases
- Equilibria of Reactions Involving Gases, Equilibrium Constant Kp and Law of Mass Action
- Standard Reference States: Gibbs Free Energies and Enthalpies of Formation
- Mixed Phase Equilibria
- Stoichiometric Reactions, Independent Reactions, and a General Method for Solving Equilibrium Composition (Major-Minor Species Model)
- Quantum Theory and Wave Mechanics
- Molecular Models
- Origin of Quantum Theory of Matter - Bohr Model of Atom
- Quantum Mechanics/Wave Theory (Schrodinger Equation)
- Free Particle, Particle in a Box, Harmonic Oscillator, Rigid Rotor
- H atom (Electronic Energy)
- Statistical Mechanics
- Enumeration of Microstates
- Most Probable Macrostate
- Distribution over Energy States
- Statistical Thermodynamics and Thermodynamic Properties
- Thermodynamic Relations
- Independent Energy Modes
- Translational Properties; Monatomic Gas with Electronic Excitation
- Diatomic Gas and Boltzmann Fractions
- Improved Models/Corrections
- Polyatomic Molecules
- Chemically Reacting Gas Mixtures
- Equilibrium Constant: Statistical Mechanics Approach
- Equilibrium Constant: Combined Thermo./Stat. Mech. Approach
- Specific Heats of Reacting Mixtures
- Gas Radiation and Optical/Laser Diagnostics
- Aborption/Emission Lines and Einstein Coefficients
- Scattering and Overview of Optical Diagnostic Methods
- Introductory Gas Kinetic Theory
- Models of Molecular Potentials
- Pressure, Temperature and Internal Energy from Collisions
- Mean Free Path
- Transport Phenomena
- Molecular Magnitudes
- Equilibrium Gas Kinetic Theory
- Velocity Distribution Function
- Equation of State for a Perfect Gas
- Equilibrium and Maxwellian Distribution
- Collision Rate and Mean Free Path
- Energy Involved in Collisions
- Inelastic Collision Rates
- Transport Properties