Ph.D., University of Tennessee, 2007
M.Sc., University of Missouri, 2003
B.Sc., University of Missouri, 2001
Research Areas and Descriptors
Nondestructive evaluation, characterization of structural materials for nuclear applications, materials aging, structure-property relationships, neutron and high energy x-ray scattering.
Dr. Wall come to Georgia Institute of Technology in 2010 as an adjunct assistant professor of mechanical engineering. He currently holds a joint appointment at the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), in Charlotte, NC, where he has been on the staff since 2007. Prior to that, Dr. Wall worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Dr. Wall’s research focuses on materials degradation and aging in nuclear power generation applications and the development of novel nondestructive evaluation and inspection techniques to characterize such degradation. Primary materials of interest are ferritic steels, austenitic stainless steels and nonmetals (concrete). Systems of interest are primary loop components (reactor vessel and piping), reactor internals, reactor structural support systems, containment and shield buildings and spent fuel pools. Stressors of interest are neutron and gamma radiation, corrosion (e.g., boric acid attack in spent fuel pools), weld residual stresses, containment internal stresses and elevated temperature exposure. The ultimate goal of this research is to use a mechanistic understanding of damage phenomena to develop better methods of characterization.
- US DOE NEUP grant (2012)
- EPRI Discovery Award (2012)
- EPRI Discovery Award (2011)
- EPRI Performance Recognition Award (2009)
- National Science Foundation IMI Fellowship (2004 - 2007)
- Sigma Xi Interdisciplinary Science Research Presentation Competition, UT (2005) 2nd pl.
- J. J. Wall, "Bulk Metallic Glass: The Theory and Practice of Fabrication", in The World of Bulk Metallic Glasses and their Composites, C. Fan Editor, Research Signpost, Kerala ISBN: 978-81-308-0196-4 (2008), invited.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (including those currently under review)
- T. M. Rosseel, J. J. Wall, K. G. Field, Y. Le Pape, D. J .Naus, I. Remec, J .T. Busby, P. Bruck, “Dommages d’irradiation du béton des puits de cuve des réacteurs“, Revue Generale Nuclaire, Under Review (2015).
- K. H. Matlack, H. Bradley, S. Thiele, J-Y. Kim, J. J. Wall, J. Qu and L. J. Jacobs, “Nonlinear Ultrasonic K. H. Matlack, H. Bradley, S. Thiele, J-Y. Kim, J. J. Wall, J. Qu and L. J. Jacobs, “Nonlinear Ultrasonic Characterization of Precipitation in 17-4PH Stainless Steel”, NDT&E International 71, 8 (2015).
- J. Lee, J. J. Wall, J. R. Rogers, T. J. Rathz, H. Choo, P. K. LiawandR. W. Hyers, “Non-Contact Measurement of Creep Properties of Niobium at 1985 C” Measurement Science and Technology, 26, 015901 (2015).
- B. J. Hohmann, J. P. Crosson, T. C. Esselman, J. J. Wall, M. Quarry and L. Breon, “Flaw Detection Capability and Sensitivity in the Inspection of Nuclear Containment Liner and Shell Mock-Ups Utilizing a Magnetostrictive Sensor (MsS) Guided Wave UT Technique” Journal of Modern Physics, 5, 13 (2014).
- K. H. Matlack, J-Y Kim, J. J. Wall, J. Qu, L. J. Jacobs and M. A. Sokolov, “Sensitivity of Ultrasonic Nonlinearity to Irradiated, Annealed and Re-irradiated Microstructure Changes in RPV Steels”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 448, 26 (2014).
- K. H. Matlack, J. J. Wall, J.-Y. Kim, J. Qu, L. J. Jacobs, and H.-W. Viehrig, “Evaluation of Radiation Damage Using Nonlinear Ultrasound”, Journal of Applied Physics, 111, 054911 (2012)
- J. J. Wall, J. D. Almer, S. C. Vogel, P. K. Liaw, H. Choo and C. T. Liu, "Synchrotron X-Ray Scattering Investigations of Oxygen-Induced Nucleation in a Zr-Based Glass Forming Alloy", Scripta Materialia, 61, 293(2009).
- J. J. Wall, C. T. Liu, W-K. Rhim, J. J. Z. Li, P. K. Liaw, H. Choo, and W. L. Johnson, "Heterogeneous Nucleation in a Glass Forming Alloy," Applied Physics Letters 92, 244106 (2008).
- J. J. Wall, C. Fan, P. K. Liaw, and H. Choo, “Processing Zr52.5Cu17.9Ni14.6Al10Ti5 metallic glass containing high levels of oxygen by microalloying with erbium,” Materials Science & Engineering A 472, 125 (2008).
- E. A. Juarez-Arellano, B. Winkler, A. Friedrich, D. J. Wilson, M. Koch-Müller, K. Knorr, S. C. Vogel, J. J. Wall, H. Reiche, W. Crichton, M. Ortega-Aviles and M. Avalos-Borja, “Reaction of Rhenium and Carbon at High Pressures and Temperatures,” Zeitschrift für Kristallographie 223, 492 (2008).
- C. C. Aydiner, D. W. Brown, A. Misra, Y.-C. Wang, J. J. Wall, N. Mara, and J. D. Almer, Residual Strain in Free-Standing Cu-Nb Nanoscale Multilayers With High-Energy X-rays," Journal of Applied Physics 102, 083514 (2007).
- J. Lee, R. C. Bradshaw, R. W. Hyers, J. R. Rogers, T. J. Rathz, J. J. Wall, H. Choo and P. K. Liaw, "Non-contact measurement of creep resistance of ultra-high-temperature materials", Materials Science & Engineering A 463, 185 (2007).
- K. X. Tao, J. J. Wall, D. W. Brown, S. C. Vogel, M. A. M. Bourke, H. Q. Li, and H. Choo, “In-Situ Neutron Diffraction Study of Grain Orientation Dependent Phase Transformation in 304L Stainless Steel at a Cryogenic Temperature,”Journal of Applied Physics 100, 123515(2007).
- J. J. Wall, R. Weber, J. Kim, P. K. Liaw, and H. Choo, “Aerodynamic Levitation Processing of a Zr-based Bulk Metallic Glass,” Materials Science & Engineering A445-446, 219 (2007).
- C. Fan, P. K. Liaw, V. Haas, J. J. Wall, H. Choo, A. Inoue and C. T. Liu, “Structures and Mechanical Behaviors of Zr55Cu35Al10 Bulk Amorphous Alloys at Ambient and Cryogenic Temperatures,” Physical Review B 74, 014205 (2006).
- J. J. Wall, C. Fan, P. K. Liaw, C. T. Liu, and H. Choo, “A Combined Drop / Suction Casting Machine for the Manufacture of Bulk Metallic Glass Materials,” Review of Scientific Instruments 77, 033902 (2006).
- J. J. Wall, H. Choo, T. N. Tiegs, and P. K. Liaw, “Thermal Residual Stress Evolution in a TiC–50 vol.% Ni3Al Cermet,” Materials Science & Engineering A 412, 40 (2006).
- K. Morsi, S. O. Moussaand J. Wall“Reactive Extrusion and High Temperature Oxidation of Ni3Al” Journal of Materials Science41, 1027 (2006).
- K. Morsi, S. O. Moussa, and J. J. Wall, “Simultaneous Combustion Synthesis (Thermal Explosion Mode) and Extrusion of Nickel Aluminides,” Journal of Materials Science 40, 1027 (2005).
- K. Morsi, J. Wall, S. O. Moussa, and J. Rodriguez, “Reactive Thermomechanical Processing of Aluminide Intermetallics,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 12, 147 (2003), invited.
- J. Rodriguez, S. O. Moussa, J. Wall, and K. Morsi, “Low Energy Forging of Aluminide Intermetallics,” Scripta Materialia 48, 707 (2003).
- H. Graves, Y. LePape, D. J. Naus, J. Rashid, V. Saouma, A. Sheikh and J. J. Wall, “Expanded Materials Degradation Assessment – Volume 4: Aging of Concrete and Civil Structures”, Nuclear Regulatory Commission Document NUREG/CR-7153, Public Document (2014)