- Ph.D., Politecnico di Torino (Italy), 1999
- Laurea, Politecnico di Torino (Italy), 1995
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Acoustics and Dynamics and Mechanics of Materials: Structural health monitoring, phononic and periodic meta-materials, vibration and noise control, wave propagation in solids, and mechanics of cellular and structured materials
Dr. Ruzzene's current research activities emphasize the detection and analysis of guided ultrasonic waves for structural health assessment. The detection of propagating ultrasonic waves, together with the application of Scanning Laser Vibrometry for full wave-field measurement, are used to develop novel damage detection techniques which are based on the application of filtering techniques in the frequency/wave number space. The goal of these techniques is to separate the contribution of damage from the overall response of the structure, thus highlighting its presence and location.
Another area of investigation considers the application of periodic structural lattices for the design of novel acoustic meta-materials and waveguides. This class of structural assemblies features unique design flexibility which allows tailoring their mechanical behavior through the proper selection of the unit cell topology. Unique features such as directional behavior and bandgap properties are exploited for acoustic wave guiding, and for the design of novel actuators with frequency dependent directivity. Such properties are also investigated in the presence of nonlinear material behavior, which may be exploited to further enhance the functionality of acoustic meta-materials and to generate novel unique properties uniquely associated with nonlinear interactions.
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2002
- Journal of Vibration and Acoustics Associate Editor, 2008-2011
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Composites Technical Committee Chair, 2009-2010
- Vibration and Structural Dynamics Technical Committee Elected Member
- A. Spadoni, M. Ruzzene and K. Cunefare. 2009. Control of Wave Propagation in Plates with Periodic Shunted Piezoelectric Patches. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 20,979-990.
- S. Gonella and M. Ruzzene. 2008. Homogenization and Equivalent In-Plane Properties of Two-dimensional Lattices. International Journal of Solids and Structures 45(10), 2897-2915.
- N. Apetre, M. Ruzzene, S. Hanagud, and S. Gopalakrishnan. 2008. Spectral and Perturbation Analysis of First Order Beams with Notch Damage. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 75.
- M. Ruzzene. 2007. Frequency/Wavenumber Filtering for Improved Damage Visualization. Smart Materials and Structures 16, 2116-2129.
- A. Spadoni and M. Ruzzene. 2007. Numerical and Experimental Analysis of The Static Compliance of Chiral Truss-Core Airfoils. Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures 2(5), 965.