- Ph.D., Michigan Technological University, 1993
- M.S., Washington State University, 1989
- B.Tech. (Hons.) IIT Kharagpur, India, 1987
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Manufacturing and Tribology; Precision machining, fixturing/handling, and hybrid micromachining processes
Dr. Melkote began at Tech in 1995 as an Assistant Professor. Prior, he was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Illinois.
Dr. Melkote’s research in these has been funded by the National Science Foundation, National Institute of Standards and Technology Advanced Technology Program, National Renewable Energy Lab, Caterpillar Inc., Timken, Delphi Corp., GM, Ford, Lockheed Martin, Alcoa Fastener Systems, and others.
Elected Secretary, North American Manufacturing Research Institution of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (NAMRI/SME), 2012-2013
Elected Associate Member, College International Pour La Recherche En Productique (CIRP) (The International Academy for Production Engineering), Paris, France, 2012
Best paper award at the 7th International Conference on Micro-Manufacturing held at Northwestern University, Evanston, IL in March 12-14, 2012. Paper Co-authored by G. Mathai (PhD student), S. Melkote, and D. Rosen
- Associate Director of the Manufacturing Research Center, 2008
- Woodruff School Faculty Fellow, 2006-2011
- ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering Associate Editor, 2005-2008
- Blackall Machine Tool and Gage Award, 2004
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow, 2006
- International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (Manufacturing Engineering Division), Best Paper Award, 2002
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Dell K. Allen Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 1998
- 26th North American Manufacturing Research Conference Best Paper Award
- Research Initiation Award, 1995
- Sigma Xi Best M.S. Thesis Award (Advisor to Jeffrey D. Thiele), 1999
- Anand Ramesh, et al. 2005. Analysis of White Layers Formed in Hard Turning of AISI 52100 Steel. Materials Science & Engineering A390, 88-97.
- Suhas S. Joshi and Shreyes N. Melkote. 2004. An Explanation for the Size-Effect in Machining Using Strain Gradient Plasticity. ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 126(4), 679-684.
- Sathyan Subbiah and Shreyes N. Melkote. 2004. White Layer Formation in Hardened Steel Turned with a Rotary Tool. Transactions of NAMRI/MSE 32, 359-366.
- John A. Malluck and Shreyes N. Melkote. 2004. Modeling of Deformation of Ring Shaped Workpieces Due to Chucking and Cutting Forces. ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 126, 141-147.
- Jose F. Hurtado and Shreyes N. Melkote. 2002. Modeling and Analysis of the Effect of Fixture-Workpiece Conformability on Static Stability. ASME Journal on Manufacturing Science and Engineering 124, 234-241.