- Ph.D., Purdue University, 1997
- B.S./M.S. (Math), Moscow State University, Russia, 1994
- B.S./M.S.M.E., Bauman MSTU, Moscow, Russia, 1993
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Heat Transfer, Combustion, and Energy Systems and Bioengineering; Portable and distributed power generation; CO2 capture and utilization; Catalysis and fuel cells; Chemical and electrochemical sensors; mass spectrometry; and Thermal radiation heat transfer.
Dr. Fedorov's background is in thermal/fluid sciences, chemical reaction engineering as well as in applied mathematics. His laboratory works at the intersection between mechanical and chemical engineering and solid state physics and analytical chemistry with the focus on portable/ distributed power generation with synergetic CO2 capture; thermal management of high power dissipation devices and electronics cooling; special surfaces and nanostructured interfaces for catalysis, heat and moisture management; and development of novel bioanalytical instrumentation and chemical sensors. Dr. Fedorov joined Georgia Tech in 2000 as an Assistant Professor after finishing his postdoctoral work at Purdue University.
Press Coverage of Fedorov’s Group Research
- Tiny Supersonic Jet Injector Accelerates Nanoscale Additive Manufacturing
- Microfluidic Molecular Exchanger Helps Control Therapeutic Cell Manufacturing
- Tiny "Tornado" Boosts Performance of Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry
- Four-Stroke Engine Cycle Produces Hydrogen from Methane and Captures CO2
- 3D "Nanobridges" Formed Using Electron Beam Writing with Tiny Jets of Liquid Precursor
- Disappearing Carbon Circuits on Graphene Could Have Security, BioMedical Uses
- Smart Hydrogel Coating Creates "Stick-slip" Control of Capillary Action
- New Device Could Shorten Drug Development
- Nano Probe May Open New Window Into Cell Behavior
- Carbon Capture Strategy Could Lead to Emission-Free Cars
- Low-Resistance Connections Facilitate Use of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes for Interconnects
- DOE Grant Funds Development of Improved Nanoscale Additive Manufacturing
- DARPA Project Will Improve Heat Dissipation in 3-D Microelectronic Systems
|Complex 3-D nanostructures fabricated in Dr. Fedorov's Lab using Electron Beam Induced Deposition in combination with Metal Assisted Chemical Etching (EBID-MaCE).|
Dr. Fedorov’s research is at the interface of basic sciences and engineering. His research portfolio is diverse, covering the areas of portable/ distributed power generation with synergetic carbon dioxide management, including hydrogen/CO2 separation/capture and energy storage, novel approaches to nanomanufacturing (see Figure), microdevices (MEMS) and instrumentation for biomedical research, and thermal management of high performance electronics. Dr. Fedorov's research includes experimental and theoretical components, as he seeks to develop innovative design solutions for the engineering systems whose optimal operation and enhanced functionality require fundamental understanding of thermal/fluid sciences.
Applications of Dr. Fedorov’s research range from fuel reformation and hydrogen generation for fuel cells to cooling of computer chips, from lab-on-a-chip microarrays for high throughput biomedical analysis to mechanosensing and biochemical imaging of biological membranes on nanoscale.
The graduate and undergraduate students working with Dr. Fedorov's lab have a unique opportunity to develop skills in a number of disciplines in addition to traditional thermal/fluid sciences because of the highly interdisciplinary nature of their thesis research. Most students take courses and perform experimental and theoretical research in chemical engineering and applied physics. Acquired knowledge and skills are essential to starting and developing a successful career in academia as well as in many industries ranging from automotive, petrochemical and manufacturing to electronics to bioanalytical instrumentation and MEMS.
- Named Rae S. and Frank H. Neely Chair, 2019
- Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering Editorial Board, 2018 - Present
- Raymond Viskanta Fellowship and Lectureship, Purdue University, 2017
- Grand Challenge Ambassador/Featured Guest at the “Carbon Use Grand Challenge” Summit, Climate Change and Emission Management Corporation (CCEMC), Alberta, Canada (2014)
- Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineering (JSME) Mechanical Engineering Reviews, Transactions of the JSME (in Japanese), Mechanical Engineering Journal, and Mechanical Engineering Letters, International Advisory Board (2013-2015)
- International Journal of Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer Editorial Board, 2012-Present
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Invention & Contribution Board Award for development of catalytic reactor technologies, cited “among technical contributions to NASA, which have significant value in the conduct of aeronautical and space activities, ” 2010
- ASME-Pi Tau Sigma Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award, 2010
- Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) Inventor Recognition Award, 2009
- Tokyo Institute of Technology’s (Japan) Global Center of Excellence in Energy Science International Advisory Board, 2008-Present
- ASME/IEEE ITherm08 Outstanding Paper Award in Thermal Management, 2008
- Georgia Tech Class of 1934 Outstanding Interdisciplinary Activities Award, 2008
- Woodruff School Faculty Fellow, 2008-2012
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Heat Transfer Division) Bergles-Rohsenow Young Investigator Award for sustained contributions to heat, mass, and radiation transfer, 2007
- Journal of Nanoelectronics and Optoelectronics Editorial Board, 2007
- Microelectronics Advanced Research Corporation Inventor Recognition Award, 2006 and 2007
- National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Symposium Invited Participant, 2006
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers Branimir F. von Turkovich Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 2006
- International Journal of Multiscale Computational Engineering Editorial Advisory Board, 2004-present
- Sigma Xi (Georgia Tech Chapter) Young Faculty Award, 2004
- International Journal of Multiscale Computational Engineering Special Issue Guest Editor, 2004
Evaporation cooling devices and systems and methods of removing heat from hot spots, U.S. Patent 10,337,802, July 2, 2019
Thermo-electro-chemical converters and methods of use thereof, U.S. Patent 10,249,884 with S. Yee, S. W. Lee, and A. Limia, April 2, 2019
Self-pumping structures and methods of use self-pumping structures", U.S. Patent 9,970,422 with J. M. Meacham and F. L. Degertekin, May 15, 2018
Intracellular delivery and transfection methods and devices, U.S. Patent 9,725,709, with J. M. Meacham, K. Durvasula, F. L. Degertekin, and A. Mehta, August 8, 2017
Hydrogen-generating reactors and methods, U.S. Patent 9,403,143, with D. L. Damm, August 2, 2016
SMS probe and SEM imaging system and methods of use, U.S. Patent 9,245,722 with P.A. Kotte, January 26, 2016
Passive heat sink for dynamic thermal management of hot spots, U.S. Patent 8,953,314, February 10, 2015
Devices Including Composite Thermal Capacitors, U.S. Patent 8,878,340, with C. Green and Y. Joshi, November 4, 2014
Evaporation-enhanced thermal management devices, systems, and methods of heat management, U.S. Patent 8,739,856, June 3, 2014
- Devices Including Composite Thermal Capacitors, U.S. Patent 8,710,625, with C. Green and Y. Joshi, April 29, 2014
- Droplet impingement chemical reactors and methods of processing fuel, U.S. Patent 8,603,205, with M. Varady and F. L. Degertekin, December 10, 2013
- Electron Beam Induced Deposition of Interface to Carbon Nanotube, with Konrad Rykaczewski, U.S. Patent 8,531,029, September 10, 2013
- Devices Including Composite Thermal Capacitors, U.S. Patent 8,378,453, with C. Green and Y. Joshi, February 19, 2013
- Foldable Hydrogen Storage Media and Methods, U.S. Patent 8,372,947, February 12, 2013
- Electrosonic Cell Manipulation Device, U.S. Patent 8,334,133, with F. L. Degertekin, December 18, 2012
- Electron Beam Induced Deposition of Interface to Carbon Nanotube, with Konrad Rykaczewski, U.S. Patent 8,207,058, June 26, 2012.
- Fluid-to-fluid Spot-to-spreader Heat Management Devices and Systems and Methods of Managing Heat, U.S. Patent 8,082,978, December 27, 2011.
- Hydrogen-Generating Reactors and Methods with David L. Damm, U. S. Patent 7,981,171, July 19, 2011.
- Droplet Impingement Chemical Reactors and Methods of Processing Fuel, with Levent Degertekin and Mark Varady, U. S. Patent 7,909,897, March 22, 2011
- Reverse-Taylor-Cone Ionization Systems and Methods of Use Thereof, with F. L. Degertekin, U.S. Patent 7,880,148, February 1, 2011.
- Integrated Fuel Processor and Flow Delivery Infrastructure, U. S. Patent 7,714,274, with F. L. Degertekin, May 11, 2010
- Electrosonic Cell Manipulation Device and Method of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,704,743, with F. L. Degertekin, April 27, 2010
- Scanning Ion Probe Systems and Method of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,442,927, April 27, 2010
- Vortex Tube Refrigeration Systems and Methods, U.S. Patent 7,669,428, March 2, 2010
- Confining/Focusing Vortex Flow Transmission Structure, Mass Spectrometry Systems, and Methods of Transmitting Particles, Droplets, and Ions, U.S. Patent 7,595,487, September 29, 2009
- Electrospray Systems and Methods, U.S. Patent 7,557,342, with Levent Degertekin, July 7, 2009
- Nano-Patch Thermal Management Devices, Methods, and Systems, U. S. Patent 7,545,644, June 9, 2009
- Thermal Management Devices, Systems, and Methods, U .S. Patent 7,532,467, with S. Launay and Y. K. Joshi, May 12, 2009
- Scanning Ion Probe Systems and Method of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,442,927, October 28, 2008.
- Reverse-Taylor-Cone Ionization Systems and Methods of Use Thereof, U.S. Patent 7,411,182, August 12, 2008
- Integrated Micro Fuel Processor and Flow Delivery Infrastructure, U.S. Patent 7,312,440, with F. L. Degertekin, December 25, 2007
- Electrospray Systems and Methods, U.S. Patent 7,208,727, with F. L. Degertekin, April 24, 2007
Anderson, D. A., Yun, T. M., Kottke, P. A., and Fedorov, A. G., Comprehensive analysis of sorption enhanced steam methane reforming in a variable volume membrane reactor, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 56 (7), 1758-1771 (2017). Featured on the Cover of February 2017 (Volume 56, Issue 7) Issue.
Fedorov, A., Kim, S, Henry, M., Kulkarni, D., Tsukruk, V. V., Focused electron beam induced processing (FEBIP) for emerging applications in carbon nanoelectronics, Appl. Phys. A – Mat. Sci. & Proc., 117 (4), 1659-1674 (2014) invited.
Anderson, D. A., Kottke, P. A., and Fedorov, A. G., Thermodynamic analysis of hydrogen production via sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming in a new class of variable volume batch-membrane reactors, Special Issue of Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 39, 17985-17997 (2014) invited.
- Kim, S, Kulkarni, D., Davis, M., Kim, S., Naik, R., Voevodin, A. A., Jang, S., Tsukruk, V. V. and Fedorov, A. G., Controlling physicochemical state of carbon on graphene using Focused Electron Beam Induced Deposition, ACS Nano, 8 (7), 6805–6813 (2014).
- Green, C. E.., Fedorov, A., and Joshi, Y. K., Time scale matching of dynamically operated devices using composite thermal capacitors, Microelectronics J., 45, 1069-1078 (2014).
- Meacham, J. M., Durvasula, K., Degertekin, F. L. and Fedorov, A. G., Physical methods for intracellular delivery: practical aspects from laboratory to industrial scale processing, Journal of Laboratory Automation (JALA), Special Issue on Advancements in Biomedical Micro/Nano Tools and Technology, 19 (1), 1-18 (2014).
- Narayanan, S., Fedorov, A. G., and Joshi, Y., Heat and mass transfer during evaporation of thin liquid films confined by porous membrane subjected to air jet impingement, Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., 58, 300-311 (2013).
- Kim, S, Kulkarni, D., Rykaczewski, K., Henry, M., Tsukruk, V. V. and Fedorov, A. G., Fabrication of an ultra-low-resistance Ohmic contact to MWCNT-metal interconnect using graphitic carbon by Electron Beam Induced Deposition (EBID), IEEE Trans. Nano, 11 (6), 1223-1230 (2012).
- Anderson, D., Gupta, M., Voevodin, A., Hunter, C., Putnam, S.A., Tsukruk, V,V., and Fedorov, A. G., Using amphiphilic nanostructures to enable long-range ensemble coalescence and surface rejuvenation in dropwise condensation, ACS Nano, 6 (4), 3262-3268 (2012).
- Narayanan, S., Fedorov, A. G., and Joshi, Y., Interfacial transport of evaporating water confined in nanopores, Langmuir, 27 (17), 10666-10676 (2011).
- Varady, M. J. and Fedorov, A. G., Fuel reformation and hydrogen generation with direct droplet impingement reactors: parametric studies and design consideration for portable methanol steam reformers, Ind. & Eng. Chem. Res., 50, 9514-9524 (2011).
- Forbes, T. P., Degertekin, F.L., and Fedorov, A. G., Droplet charging regimes in ultrasonic atomization of a liquid electrolyte in an external electric field, Phys. Fluids, 23, 012104 (2011).
- Kottke, P.A., Degertekin, F.L., and Fedorov, A. G., The Scanning Mass Spectrometry Probe: a scanning probe electrospray ion source for imaging mass spectrometry of submerged interfaces and transient events in solution, Anal. Chem., 82 (1), 19–22 (2010).