- Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University, 1990
- M.S., University of Houston, 1988
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1982
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Acoustics and Dynamics and Computer-Aided Engineering and Design; Active/passive control, industrial noise control, fluid-structure interaction, optimal acoustic design, fluid-hydraulic noise control, and test methods and instrumentation.
Dr. Cunefare began at Tech in 1990 as an Assistant Professor. Prior he was an F.V. Hunt Postdoctural Fellow at The Technical University of Berlin.
Dr. Cunefare is the Professor in Charge of the Integrated Acoustics Laboratory, a state-of-the-art acoustics and vibration research facility funded by the Ford Motor Company, the National Science Foundation, and Georgia Tech. This facility is intended to provide educational and research opportunities that span the theoretical, computational, and experimental range of acoustics and vibrations.
- ASME Fellow, 2014
- Acoustical Society of America Fellow, 2003
- Joseph H. Anderer Faculty Endowed Faculty Fellow in the Woodruff School, 2002-2007
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- GT Off-Road (Mini-Baja Team) Faculty Advisor, 1997-present
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1994
- gt motorsports Formula Team Faculty Advisor, 1992-present
- Sports Car Club of America Carroll Smith Mentor's Cup, 2002
- Metro-Atlanta National Engineers Week Engineer of the Year in Education, 1995
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Region XI) Faculty Advisor Award,1992
- F. V. Hunt Postdoctoral Fellow (Technical University of Berlin), 1990
Adaptable Vibration Absorber Employing a Magnetorheological Elastomer with Variable Gap Length and Methods and Systems Therefor, with Anne-Marie Albanese-Lerner, U.S. Patent 7,102,474, September 5, 2006.
Apparatus and Associated Method for Decontaminating Contaminated Matter with Ultrasonic Transient Cavitation, U. S. Patent 6,447,718, with Stephen Carter, September 10, 2002
John P. Arata, Michael J. Leamy, Jerome Meisel, Kenneth Cunefare, David Taylor. 2011. Backward-looking Simulation of the Toyota Prius and General Motors Two-Mode Power-Split HEV Powertrains. SAE World 2011 World Contress and Exhibition, SAE Paper 11 PFL-0790, April 12-14, Detroit, MI.
Filippo Casadei, Lorenzo Dozio, Massimo Ruzzene, and Kenneth A. Cunefare. 2010. Periodic Shunted Arrays for the Control of Noise Radiation in an Enclosure. Journal of Sound and Vibration,329(18), 3632-3646.
Spadoni, M. Ruzzene, and K. A. Cunefare. 2009. Vibration and Wave Propagation Control of Plates with Periodic Arrays of Shunted Piezoelectric Patches. Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures 20(5), 979-990.
Mark Holdhusen and Kenneth A. Cunefare, 2008. Experimental Vibration Control of a Single-Degree of Freedom System using a State-Switched Absorber. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 19(12), 1435-1442.
Francesco Franco, Kenneth A. Cunefare, and Massimo Ruzzene. 2007. Structural Acoustic Optimization of Sandwich Panels.ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 129(3), 330-340.