- Ph.D., Indiana Univesity, Bloomington, IN, 1986
Research Areas and Descriptors
Medical imaging including single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and positron emission tomography (PET), medical image reconstruction theory, medical image quality and quantitation, internal dosimetry
Dr. Cao's current research centers on deriving accurate and efficient image reconstruction algorithms for SPECT and PET. Also he is interested in developing innovative emission imaging devices to significantly improve image quality. One of his novel ideas has been submitted to NIH for funding and received wide attention. In addition, Dr. Cao worked in the field of internal dosimetry and PET radiation dose to radiation workers.
Distinctions & Awards
- Institute of Paper Science and Technology Presidents' Award, 1997
- American Society of Materials (Thermal Spray Division) Best Paper Award, 1992
- Society of Automotive Engineers Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1977
- Impulse Dryer, U. S. Patent 5,839,203, with T. F. Patterson and I. Rudman, November 24, 1998
- Apparatus for Drying a Paper Web at Elevated Ambient Pressures, U. S. Patent 5,722,183, with T. F. Patterson, March 3, 1998
- Method and Apparatus for Drying a Fiber Web at Elevated Ambient Pressures, U. S. Patent 5,669,159, with T. F. Patterson and I. Rudman, September 23, 1997
- Method and Apparatus for Drying a Fiber Web at Elevated Ambient Pressures, U. S. Patent 5,598,642, with T. F. Patterson and A.M. Krause, February 4, 1997
- I. Rudman and D. I. Orloff. 2002. Dynamic Thickness and Temperature Measurements During Wet Pressing and Impulse Drying. Tappi Journal 1(5), 8-12.
- T. Patterson, D. I. Orloff and F. Bloom. 2002. Delamination Buckling and Spalling of Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings. Mathematical and Computer Modeling 35, 165-190.
- H. Larsson and D. I. Orloff. 2001.Lab-scale Impulse Drying Experiments With Extension to Higher Impulse. Drying Technology 19(10), 2549-2558.
- D. I. Orloff, P. M. Phelan and J. Challas. 2000. Impulse Drying of Board Grades: Converting Trials. Tappi Journal 83(10), 65.
- D. I. Orloff, P. M. Phelan and J. Crouse. 2000. Impulse Drying of Board Grades: Pilot Production Trials. Tappi Journal 83(9), 57.