The ME Electronics Lab provides electrical circuit design and minor repair services for Woodruff School faculty, staff and students. We also provide assistance or consulting for projects as well as help with troubleshooting circuit issues on projects. We have two circuit board milling machines that are capable of producing two layer circuit boards. We prefer you send us Eagle board files but can usually work with gerber files from other circuitboard software products. Two work benches with electronics test equipment are provided in the lab for students to use on a first come first serve basis during our lab work hours. Help with soldering is provided by electronics lab personnel if requested.
The electronics lab also has test equipment students can check out for a limited amount of time. We also offer training on how to use the LPKF S63 circuit board milling machine which is in the invention studio. Finally, we have some components available to students such as resistors, capacitors and circuit board headers though we are not a component store.
Typical board designs requested by students:
- Instrumentation Amplifier
- Small Stepper Motor Drivers
- Small DC Motor Drivers
- Arduino Shield Boards
- Active Low Pass Filters
- Various Break-Out Boards
Student Work Bench Equipment:
- Solder Iron, solder and solder wick
- Power Supply
- Signal Generator
- Test Cables
- Hot Air Gun (Used for shrink tubing)
Here is a partial list of the services we provide for the faculty, staff, and students of the Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering. Parts for projects will require an appropriate account number for purchasing.
- Transducer Amplifiers - We can create custom amplifiers for your specialized sensors and gauges.
- Motor Driver - We can help spec out and assemble your motor control system. Standard motor drives can be designed and built in house.
- Printed Circuit Board Design - We are able to create professional quality SMT, through-hole, and mixed technology PCB's. We can help if you need assistance anywhere in the process - from the conception stage to physical implementation of your design.
- Printed Circuit Board Fabrication - We also have the capability to produce 2 layer circuit boards in house.
- Research Prototypes - Projects requiring specialized circuits for research applications will be reviewed by our electrical engineers for a development timeline.
- Funded-project research equipment may also be repaired.
Work is performed on a first-come, first-served basis, however, research projects with an appropriate account number have a higher priority.
Students in the ME, CE or EE programs will be considered for part time employment in the electronics lab (20 hrs/wk). These part time workers will be trained for various tasks such as milling circuit boards, soldering components onto circuit boards, using test equipment etc. These jobs can be demanding during crunch time at the end of the semester, but if you have an interest in learning hands-on electronics and are capable of operating independently and responsibly, the educational experience can be tremendous. A knowledge and use of common hand tools is required. Feel free to stop by for a chat if you have more questions or send us an email.
For more info, contact:
Electrical Engineer - IIl
Electrical Engineer II
Electrical Engineer II
Please observe the following policies:
Hours of Operation: 7am - 4pm, Monday - Friday
- No Students are allowed in the lab without an Electronics Lab Staff member present.
- The Electronics Lab is not a supply store.The inventory we have is made up of common parts we see used from semester to semester and low cost items are sometimes given to students in small quantities.
- Bench equipment such as hand tools and test equipment must stay in the electronics lab.
- Clean up after you are done working at a bench for the next student.
- For an involved project, request a meeting with any of the electronics lab staff.
MRDC Bldg, Room -2104,
801 Ferst Drive Atlanta, GA 30313
Hours: 7:00 am - 4:00 pm
Mon. - Fri.
Phone: 404.894.7671 Fax: 404.894.8336 E-mail: email@example.com